Adaptive tripod grip.
- Assume the "standard" tripod with the fingertips, but let the pen's body rest where the index and middle fingers meet.
- To avoid middle-finger-callusing, grip with the fleshier part of the middle fingertip rather than with the DIP joint.
- Canting the pen sideways (outwards), and letting the palm face across rather than down, can help expose more of the middle finger flesh. This slight turn also reduces stress on the wrist.
(favorite; in carry case; *on keychain)
- Koh-i-Noor Versatil 5608, 2mm
- Parafernalia Diamante, 5.6mm, aluminum, black
- Kaweco Special S, 0.7mm, aluminum
- Modern Fuel Click, 0.7mm, bronze
- TWSBI Precision Fix, 0.7mm, aluminum
- Aurora Hastil, steel
- Ensso XS, titanium
- Franklin-Christoph 20p, plastic, black
- Gravitas Pocket, aluminum, black
- Kaweco Liliput, steel
- Koh-i-Noor Student 2069, plastic, red
- Lamy CP1, brass?, black
- Namisu N1, titanium, darkgray
- Pelikan M215, rings
- Pilot Elite, '80s, black
- Spoke Axle S, titanium + aluminum, black
- Wing Sung 601, piston-style, clear
- Aurora Hastil: F/M
- Bock: (180) F; (Kaweco 060) EF
- Faber-Castell: EF
- Jowo #6: F, F, B; (Franklin-Christoph) EF, EF flex, EF S.I.G.
- Koh-i-Noor Student: M
- Lamy: EF, M, 1.1
- Pelikan M200: EF, M
- Pilot Elite: EF
- Wing Sung 601: F
other pen (ballpoint, felt-tip, etc.)
- BigIdeaDesign Pocket Pro, titanium, black
- BlankForces EDC Pocket Bolt, steel
- KeySmart Nano, steel
- Mitsubishi UniPin Fine Line, 0.3mm
- rOtring 600, brass, black
- Sharpie, "fine point", black
- TEC PicoPen, titanium
- *Victorinox Midnite Manager, blue
- deAtramentis Document, black
- Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK Marlene, blue
- Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK Vroni, pink
- Schmidt 9000M EasyFlow, black
- A straightedge that maximally fits the carry case
- A good eraser
- 2B or softer lead
- Tiny syringe with blunt tip
- Spare ink container
- Silicone grease
- Pipe cleaning brush
- in house: Maxpedition Pocket Organizer mini
- in backpack: RoverEDC Micro Pouch; Rickshaw Solo xs
- on person: KeySmart Nano; and hopefully the pouch/backpack
- philosophy: Getting Things Done.
- medium: Pen + notebook.
- colorway (3): Primary black, secondary blue, attention-grabbing red.
- task visualisation: Alastair method variation.
notes & sketches
- Don't fuss over the surface medium, and let it decide the pen to be used. But prefer, as far as possible, permanent fountain pen ink, then gel ink.
- Prefer small & regular handwriting for notes (ie. for recording and reading back), large & free for sketches (ie. for brain lubrication only).
- Print, but with some connectivity.
- Vertically centered x-height, about half of uppercase.
- Vertically fit grid/line maximally.